The Development, Commercial property and Residential Landlord and Tenant teams at Meaby & Co can help you with all you need to know to achieve success with your rooftop development.
Rooftop and airspace developments have become increasingly popular in recent years and even more so since August 2020 when permitted development rights were extended to allow two additional storeys on top of existing buildings.
We are able to advise on this niche area that requires a mix of development expertise and knowledge of residential landlord and tenant law by drawing upon the expertise of our development lawyers and those from our residential landlord and tenant team.
We are experienced in acting for developers who want to acquire buildings or roof rights and freeholders with a building with development potential. Our role as your legal advisers in your airspace and rooftop development includes:
- Initial advice on how to best structure your transaction;
- The acquisition of airspace leases;
- Securing roof rights through licences for works;
- Joint venture agreements;
- Purchases subject to planning;
- Enfranchisement and right of first refusal matters;
- Advising on property rights such as rights contained in leases, other easements and restrictive covenants;
We work together with other professionals to provide you with all you need to know for the success of your airspace or rooftop development including right to light and party wall surveyors, structural engineers, planning consultants, architects and tax advisers.
When not conflicted, we are also able to advise tenants on disputes relating to airspace and development issues.
We have set up Rooftop Law- a website dedicated to Rooftop and Airspace Development.